Quebec Fire Photographers
Code of Conduct
Article 03: Responders and authorities
- The fire photographer identifies himself clearly by showing an ID card to the officer in charge of very perimeter he crosses (police and fire).
- The fire photographer vows to follow the instructions and access bans that are given by voice or written by an officer of the fire department or the police service during specific emergency incidents.
- The fire photographer will not challenge a denied access during an incident, understanding that police, fire and paramedical personnel have much more important things to take care of during an incident than to take time to explain or justify a defined access or a directive. In accordance with the previous paragraph, the photographer will immediately obey any official directive he receives, without asking for justification.
- When a scene is controlled by an outer police perimeter around a tighter fire perimeter, the fire photographer must indicate to the police officers that he intends to report directly to the commanding fire officer. However, the police service has no obligation to grant passage right even to report to the C.O. If access is denied, the fire photographer will comply. EXCEPTION: If the fire photographer has a pre-authorized access with the fire department (official photographer), or that his presence is requested by the department, and that access is denied by police officers, the fire photographer will ask police officers to confirm the ban with the fire C.O.
- The fire photographer specifically commits to not impede on the work of the fire department, paramedical service or police service. The photographer moves and operates in places that do not prevent free movement of firefighters and equipment. He remains alert to movements around him and moves immediately if he foresees to potentially be in the path of emergency personnel or equipment.
- On explicit request (voice or written) from the director of the fire, paramedic or police service regarding the removal of a specific photograph, the fire photograph will comply immediately and will remove the targeted photograph from all Internet sites and catalogs.
- The fire photograph obeys the fire department's chain of command. If an officer gives the fire photographer a specific instruction that contradicts one from an officer of inferior rank, the fire photographer will comply with the order from the higher-rank officer. The photographer cannot however benefit from a permission granted by a higher-rank officer if it contradicts an access ban given by a lower-rank officer (unless both officers communicate with each other and confirm the permission).
- The fire photographer will not publish photographs taken while participating in a fire investigation. It is established that a photograph for a fire investigation is one that was taken during the specific timeframe that a fire investigator used the services of the photographer explicitely. It must be noted that any photograph taken inside an affected building, while participating in a fire investigation, but that does not specifically target an element considered in the investigation cannot be published either, as it was taken during the fire investigation. EXCEPTION: The involved fire department is the final authority in this matter; publishing some photographs can be authorized explicitly.
- The fire photographer will never provide or sell directly a photograph or information to an agent, a representative, an insurance company or an expert firm, unless explicitly authorized to do so by the director of the fire department involved.
©2017 Quebec Fire Photographers Association (QFPA)